Italy's daily coronavirus death toll and new cases fall

Non-Muslim Woman Harassed For Wearing Scarf, But Here’s What She’s Missing

Meaghan Ellis
A non-Muslim woman was absolutely furious after she was harassed by a man who had mistaken her as being Muslim when she wore a head scarf while running in the rain. Following the experience, she felt compelled to speak out about the situation. With a photo of her head scarf, she included a lengthy response to the seemingly drunken man who accused her of being Muslim without probable cause.
Her Instagram caption read:
Went shopping in Cameron Village before going to the theatre tonight. It was raining and I had straightened my hair, so I pulled part of my infinity scarf over my head (I’m vain). Walking by one of the bars, I passed a man who scoffed loudly and called after me, “Fuc*in’ Muslims.” I whipped around to confront him, but I saw the smug look on his face. He wanted a fight. I didn’t want to argue his claim that I might be Muslim (though I am not), because I didn’t want to confirm his argument that being Muslim is somehow wrong. I also didn’t want the scene to escalate by engaging in a verbal (or, heaven forbid, physical) fight with him. I smiled politely and said, “Merry Christmas,” then continued walking to my car, because I opted to fight willful ignorance with kindness. My heart goes out to the Muslim men and women who experience this kind of hatred and bigotry on a daily basis. #muslimsarenotterrorists
Went shopping in Cameron Village before going to the theatre tonight. It was raining and I had straightened my hair, so I pulled part of my infinity scarf over my head (I'm vain). Walking by one of the bars, I passed a man who scoffed loudly and called after me, "Fuc*in' Muslims." I whipped around to confront him, but I saw the smug look on his face. He wanted a fight. I didn't want to argue his claim that I might be Muslim (though I am not), because I didn't want to confirm his argument that being Muslim is somehow wrong. I also didn't want the scene to escalate by engaging in a verbal (or, heaven forbid, physical) fight with him. I smiled politely and said, "Merry Christmas," then continued walking to my car, because I opted to fight willful ignorance with kindness. My heart goes out to the Muslim men and women who experience this kind of hatred and bigotry on a daily basis. #muslimsarenotterrorists
A photo posted by M K (@maigan_k) on
Although this woman argues Muslims are not terrorists and that she feels sorry for the discrimination and hatred they are subjected to, her statement is actually a bit off base.
There are, indeed, Muslim terrorists. In fact, the Paris and San Bernardino shootings were both carried out by Muslims who had no reservations about letting the world know their beliefs and what they died for. While it’s not exactly right to believe all Muslims will commit mass shootings, the truth is their religion does advocate the killings of non-Muslims.
Unlike stereotypes placed on different races, the apprehension Muslims face from Americans is based strictly on their beliefs. Since they believe the death of non-Muslims is justifiable, it’s very difficult to determine who really believes in peace on Earth or who’s waiting to wreak havoc on innocent people. I still believe it’s better to be safe than sorry. It’s quite difficult to comfortably interact with someone who may have ulterior motives.
[Image via Instagram]

Comments